Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How much financial aid can I get for my son. I am married, but partially disabled.?

I have MS, but can currently work with insurance funded disability. I am wondering how this will play into seeking financial aid for my son. He' s only 13, but I'm thinking about it now.How much financial aid can I get for my son. I am married, but partially disabled.?
Be sure to visit the FAFSA web site. Its the free application for federal student aid. When he is a senior, or sometimes even a junior, you can fill this out and they will tell you how much he can get from the govt to go to school. The guidance counselors at his high school will be able to help with this. Also, there are programs out there at colleges that assist students with life situations, such as single parent, disabled parent, low income, etc. A good example would the EOF, educational opportunity fund program. I dont know where u live, but on the east coast, alot of colleges have this and it is extremely helpful. Its good to plan ahead...your son should be thankful!! A good start would be to talk with the guidance counselors when he enters the later grades of high school. good luck





I've found some good information here...





http://www.BestFinancialAid.info/





Good Luck.How much financial aid can I get for my son. I am married, but partially disabled.?
All student Federal and St6ate financial aid is determined by the FAFSA form. You can only apply in January of the year that he will start school. Need-based programs are just that, based on your household's total income, and yes, your now husband's income will have to be included in that total if you are married at that time. Loans are readily available to most everyone.





Also, some food for thought: Our current President is going to be doing an overhaul and rebuilding of the Financial Aid system in the US over the next decade or so to make more middle class students and parents eligible for aid. So things will most likely change drastically before your son is old enough for college.
I agree with delirious. Don't forget to have your son apply for a ton of scholarships when he hits his senior year in high school. There may even be one for children of a parent with MS -- they have a scholarship for just about everything! And scholarships = free money, which is always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment