Saturday, August 21, 2010

Is it normal to be scared to get married?

I'm 24, and have a 3 year old, I'm been with my boyfriend for 2 years now and my son adores him, he's a great role model and father figure, but I'm scared that's the only reason I want to marry him, we have a good relationship but I don't think we're madly in love, could this work out? Is it possible to love someone over time? Is it normal to change your mind everyday about getting married?Is it normal to be scared to get married?
Madly in-love doesn't last... that euphoria that we confuse with 'love' generally lasts about 2 years, max... Love is a choice and an action... I will choose to love you by putting your needs first... that doesn't mean the 'i'm crazy about you' isn't great... but it doesn't last... him being a great father figure is a HUGE plus... it sounds like it might be part of what you respect in him... try reading the book 'the five love languages' its a great example of love as an action... that being said, yes its natural to be afraid to get married... its a HUGE change and commitment... it can't (and shouldn't) be undone... choosing your future is MAJOR of course its going to be intimidating...Is it normal to be scared to get married?
If you do not love him then you should not marry him. Be in love before you get married.
The fact that your scared means you have more feelings for him than you let on. But there is truth to being with someone long enough to grow to love them. There are many different stages of love and people often get them mixed up.
I used to be in the same boat. I changed my mind on a weekly basis. We have a child together, but I have serious trust issues. Last week I was very sick, and this is going to sound awful but we married so I could have health insurance. I didn't think it would change anything, but honestly I am happier now that we are married. I feel more commited, even though I was committed before it is different now. I would have to say you should wait until you are sure that he is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with. Your young and still have plenty of time.
Pretty funny place for this question!





Yes, it is normal to be scared; no, this is NOT a bad reason to get married, and YES! you can grow to love each other over time if you have a good relationship, and you appreciate his relationship with your son. Don't press it, just let it come on it's own
Make sure you get a good Pre-Nup before you get married...
Agreed... You can love someone, but not be *in* love with them. And who's not to say you can't be great friends... One question though: Do you think he could possibly feel the same way you do, and that maybe you guys just both felt that it was the next step to get married? (Even though it's not always the [right] step?)





Try talking to him about it... He could be thinking the same thing you are.
It is definitely normal to be scared and confused but if you are seriously questioning your love for him perhaps you should re evaluate if getting married is the right thing for you.
Yes, it is normal to be scared. It could work out if you both work at it ( just as in any relationship ), don't get married until you are comfortable doing so. ( notice that I didn't say you had to be madly in love, a lot of people would be better off if they liked and respected each other ).
Heck yes its normal, this is the rest of your life were talking about that is if you take marriage seriously and don't want a divorce. If your questioning the reason to why you are marrying him then give it time before you get married it is better to stay boyfriend/girlfriend until you are completely sure. By doing so this will give you time to make the right decision and answer your question as to if you guys are really in love and if this is the right decision for you, your son, and your boyfriend. It is possible to love someone over time and coming from experience I know exactly what your going through I dated my husband for 5 years we then married for 1 year and divorced we then seperated for a year and regained our love for one another and are happier than we could ever be now. So it is best to hold off on marriage until you are absolutely ready don't make the wrong decision where you have a son who is involved because I had two kids and wish now that I would have waited to get married but you can't change the past you can only move on and learn from your mistakes. Best of luck to all of you and I hope everything works out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment