Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm married to a US citizen. Can I file for adjustment of status and enroll full time at university?

I want to enroll at graduate school (MBA) while waiting for my green card. Another thing: after marriage you have a provisional green card for the first two years: are you entitled to travel abroad nonetheless?


thanks!I'm married to a US citizen. Can I file for adjustment of status and enroll full time at university?
If your green card status is pending you'd have to consult the university(ies) to which you wish to apply to see what their policies are regarding legal status. In most cases, however, you dont' have to show proof of legal status until you are ready to begin classes (which can be months to alomst a year after being accepted).





With a green card you are allowed to travel feely in and out of the United States at will. You cannot, however, travel as a United States citizen, so you would need a passport from your country of citizenship to travel internationally. Upon returning the United States you would be required to show your Permanent Resident Card (or Green Card) at Immigration and Customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment